Polynesian half-moon pineapple pies
Posted on December 2nd, 2014
- 5 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 can (14 ounces) coconut cream
- 4 cups crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- Mix all of the above until a smooth ball forms.
- Divide into 6 pieces and roll each out into an 8-inch circle.
- Heat pineapple, sugar and milk until hot.
- Mix cornstarch with pineapple juice.
- Add to heated pineapple and mix well.
- Let cool.
- Spoon in pineapple filling into middle of each dough circle. Fold over to close edges. Press edges together and seal with a little water. Use fork to puncture top of dough about 3 times for ventilation.
- Place on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 6 turnovers.
This recipe is thanks to Simon Andrews and the Capella Cultural Centre – formed part of the menu of the 2014 Colourfest film screening at the Capella Cultural Centre.